Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 April 2012

The week that the migraine spoilt the running and my running must-haves

I hate migraines with a passion. No less. It's one of the worst feelings ever and all you can do is lie on the bed with the agonizing pain. Horrid. What a bad timing too because after a sweet run last Sunday ,I was planning to increase my mileage for the next 6 weeks as my base training and. But all the planning and running is stalled until the migraine is gone for good. Anyway, it's just a small speed bump and I am pretty sure I will be rewarded with many many great runs soon. Fingers crossed.
I tell myself it's a mental break, so when I am well to run again, I will be so excited and start running with a huge grin on my face.

So what can you write about running when you can't run ? Lots.

There are a few essentials that I must have with me when I go out for my runs and here are a few of them:



I don't carry a Sharpie, it's just for comparison in size.
1.Spi-belt. This baby can hold up an iphone, cash, keys and 3 gels and stay put around your waist and doesn't look as awful as a fanny pack. I got mine in high viz so in winter months, it's additional visibility for me which is really fantastic. I love this so much that I never went for a run without it. The material is really strong and stretchy doubles as my passport holder when I travel so I don't have to dig into my large bag at immigration checkpoints. It costs about USD20 and is worth every cent.

That gross looking yellowish spot is actually a Compeed blister pack, ibuprofen and more blister pack. 
2. 2XU running cap. It's light and dries real fast. I wear it all year round, rain or shine. I have a habit of taping ibuprofen and plaster underneath my cap. So not weird. But it has been handy when I needed a plaster during a half marathon race.



3. Retrosuperfuture Sunglasses in Flat Frank II. I wear these everywhere and you will see them on all my holiday and running photos. Strangers will think I was wearing these when I was born. They are perfect fit for me and I love the Carl Zeiss lens and doesn't hurt my ears.

4. iphone and earphones.

5. House key and small change in case I need a drink. No need for photos of these I think.


I don't know why everything is white, I don't have an obsession with matching my running gears,it's a coincidence really. You may ask why I don't own run with a Garmin. I need to know too. I use Runmeter to log all my runs but I am sure that's not enough.


There are a few things that I am planning to buy soon for my winter runs.When I started running I thought I only need a pair of good shoes and I'm good to go and I always thought that it's a relatively cheap sport. This is not true when you actually get too many ideas of how to equip your long runs to make it more fashionable bearable.
On my wishlist are :





1. Arm warmers for the autumn running where it's still too hot to wear a baselayer. I saw these at Lululemon but not stoked of the price (NZD 45) and color options. I don't know if I am vain but I know for sure I don't want to look like I am wearing old socks as arm warmers.


2. Garmin Forerunner 305 - I am still undecided which model to buy but I think I need to get one.
    My hubs got a Garmin Edge 800 for cycling and he's been having problems with the HRM strap
    and told me to go for Polar instead. Still undecided.


3. Running skirt-I have been wanting to buy a running skirt for a while but have yet to find one that is not too long on me (I'm only 5'1!). The one in the photo is Lululemon's Pace Setter Skirt in Black/ Blush Quartz and I really like it. I should see if the store has it when I go there tomorrow for  yoga.
 

If you use a heart rate monitor or GPS for your runs,please share your opinions about which brand and model and why everyone who runs need one. I have to convince myself before I am willing to fork out hundreds of moolah to get an arm computer.


Last but not least, some interesting information I found on Pinterest:








Pin It

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That chart is awesome, I really enjoyed reading it!! Lots of good info in there, especially for new runners. I am coaching a new running group of beginners next week- I will direct them to it!

I totally agree that running is so much more expensive than you expect!! My Garmin is definitely the most important tool (well, aside from sneakers!) I hummed and hawwed over it before I bought it, but it's been worth every cent. It helps me to train better and race better - so I know if I'm pushing hard enough or too hard, and it helps me to maintain my goal pace in a race. I'd be lost without it!

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

I love the chart too and it's interesting reading about the certain physical attributes for a particular sport. I am definitely not the ideal shape for marathons being only 5'1 haha.

Can't wait to hear about your coaching next week, I can really do with some running tips and motivation!

Danielle Bailey @ VinylumeInc said...

Migraine attack can happen to anyone at any time! That's the bitter truth about it, and there's nothing you can do to make it go away fast. Since you're a runner, maybe you can consider chiropractic care, not just for your migraine but to condition your body as well.

Steven Schram @ DrStevensChram said...

Migraine attack can happen to anyone at any time! That's the bitter truth about it, and there's nothing you can do to make it go away fast. Since you're a runner, maybe you can consider chiropractic care, not just for your migraine but to condition your body as well.