Search This Blog

Monday 9 April 2012

Hot Cross Buns and Easter break


When this post was written, there has been 10,000 calories consumed. Mostly in the form of chocolates and other forms of sweets. It certainly didn't help that I decided to make some hot cross buns at home myself this year too. This is my first time.
 I am so excited about having Easter break so I can catch up on watching DVDs, try out some recipes, bake, a few long runs and read lots of blogs! That's my idea of a good break. 
Laying out all my ingredients for a batch of 12 hot cross buns.

I mixed 3 cups of standard flour, 3/4 cup warm water, 1 tbsp yeast,1 egg, 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp salt 3 tbsp butter into the breadmaker to make the dough and added 3 tsp of cinnamon and 3/4 raisins before the end of the knead cycle and let it rise for 1 hour and then rolled them out as 12 balls and let rise for 40 minutes.





Before putting the buns into the oven I mixed 1 egg yolk with 2 tsp of water and brush all the buns 
evenly before baking at 200c for 20 minutes.


Voila! Freshly baked hot cross buns to devour! For the crosses, I mixed 1/2 cup caster sugar with 1 tsp milk and 1/2 tsp ground vanilla.

I hope everyone is enjoying Easter break with loved ones and enjoying the spare time for long runs. I went out for a 11km run this morning and it was fantastic! Not fast but good enough for me. Next week I will need to work harder after the break to burn off the extra holiday calories!!






Pin It

2 comments:

The Food Mentalist said...

Yum, these look divine! Happy Easter :)

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

Thanks! I read your post about the Target 100 sustainable farming.Such a positive move.I hope something like that would happen in NZ soon too.