Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 April 2012

20 Minutes Quickie :Chilli Chicken with Vege recipe

One of my favourite dishes to order in a Chinese restaurant is Chilli Chicken. I love this dish and would eat this anytime. At the same time, this dish can be easily recreated at home with just a few ingredients: chicken meat, celery, carrots, garlic, spanish onions, dried, soy sauce,oyster sauce and my favourite Malaysian thick caramel sauce.

1. I use one whole celery but you can use half or whatever quantity you prefer.I just need to clear out my fridge and the celery is hogging too much space.

2. Chop up the chicken meat and marinate with salt, pepper and soy sauce. I don't use chinese Shaoxing wine like most magazines would suggest when I cook chicken. The chillis and thick caramel sauce will give it a rich flavour. Heat the oil and fry your vegetables first for 1-2 minutes on high flame and add in diced chicken meat. Add in some dried chillies and check that the meat changes color.


3. You can use green onions for this dish if you don't have any Spanish/ Red onions but I prefer them because it's sweeter and the colours are beautiful to the mix. I have added some chilli flakes. Add in salt and pepper to your liking and add in 1-2 tablespoons of thick caramel sauce. The sugar content in the sauce will get burnt if you add it in too early. Add 1/3 cup of water and let it simmer for a minute and it should be ready.



This is my favourite brand of Thick Caramel Sauce. I prefer the ones made Malaysia as the other brands from Hong Kong and China tend to have a strong soy taste and tastes bitter. If you live in Auckland, you can find this sauce in most Asian grocers. A bottle of this can last a wee bit because it's so thick. They are very good for braising meat too.
Pin It

No comments: