Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Burpees: A Love Story





We don't like to talk about this but have to talk about this: burpees.The hair on neck stands up each time it hears the word 'burpees'. I can't recall how many times I have vomited from doing burpees. They are such horrible beasts no matter how often I do them it still make my stomach churn when I know it's part of my training.I don't know about you but I feel my heart lunging out, sore shoulders and legs, throwing up in the mouth etc when I do them. Every time when I finish my sets of burpees I am left wondering if all my internal organs had ruptured. If burpees would have a Facebook page, it will not have any friends or likes.

I think my best record to date is 5x20 burpees in one session. I can handle them better now than I used to but they still make me shiver unless you are Jillian Michaels who can do them with such grace and have a smile on your face.
















There just too many benefits of doing the burpees to omit it from your training plan. It's a good overall body training, increases your heart rate, improve  anaerobic conditions and coordination and above all you can do it anytime and anywhere.

Burpees and me has become friends recently as I promise to visit him every now and then. However, there are a few other frenemies I have at the gym/ in training. They are :

1. Shuttle runs


  Have you tried doing these with a sandbag? Oh my, it makes burpees look like a whimp!
  The  constant stopping and sprinting really makes me want to vomit.


2. My worst fear : Jacobs ladder


This the one machine I hate most in the gym and at any time of the day, you can't find another person using it. Those who do, are usually newbies are barely massaging the machine. If you go on one of these devils and try to achieve 200ft in 2-3 minutes you are not going to eat dinner,or anything.

Having whinged about all the above, I have to admit I have a love-hate relationship with them because I know how fantastic they are in increasing my overall fitness especially burpees.



Do you hate burpees?

How often do you do burpees?

What other moves that you hate but know it's darn good for your fitness?


Pin It

No comments: