Search This Blog

Monday 20 August 2007

Making Vanilla Sugar

During my last trip to Nosh , I bought a small sachet of grounded vanilla. I have used vanilla essence in my baking and i find the artificial vanilla flavour could be quite revolting. I chose the ground vanilla over scraping it from the vanilla bean because of convenience. It costs NZD 12.99 for a 20 gm sachet but I think it's worth it since you don't really use so much of it. Also, I made some vanilla sugar with the grounded vanilla bean. It's really simple. I just mixed some 300gm organic unrefined sugar, which has a dirty brown look, with 1/4 teaspoon of grounded vanilla and then store it in an airtight jar. This will be handy when you want to make some cakes, muffins etc....not very strong but just a light hint of vanilla for your baking or bevarages.


This is a rather convenient and cheaper way of having your own vanilla sugar because they are usually quite costly and only available in gourmet food stores.
Pin It

No comments: