Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2012

Homemade Gula Melaka Kaffir Lime Pandan Ice cream

 What do you do on a boring Sunday night with nothing to watch on telly and you are too lazy to even go get some take outs? Make ice-cream,naturally.

I was reading a blog post from David Leibowitz about making ice creams without an ice cream maker; that we have been doing it way back to the days without electricity so it's something that is very easy to do without using an ice-cream maker. The base of a good ice cream is a custard and then you can build flavours on it.Deal.


I didn't have any cream in my pantry but there were 2 cans of coconut cream (400ml per can). What else is there? I have jam ,honey, lemons but they are so common I might as well buy it. Hmm..tomato sauce? No. Canned beetroot? Errrmm...then I found some Gula Melaka which is a gorgeous Malaysian palm sugar. What else? Found some kaffir lime leaves and pandan leaves from the freezer..all looking good. I went on to heat 300ml of coconut cream with the kaffir lime leaves and pandan leaves. Let it cool while I mix 4 egg yolks with some sugar according to your own taste. On a separate pan, I am melt about 4cm piece of gula melaka with 1/2 cup water and let it cool on the side. Mix the milk and sugar mix into the cooled heated coconut milk and put it back on the stove to be heated a little bit more. Remove from stove and let it sit in an ice bath. Once it's cooled, add in extra 300ml coconut cream, cooled gula melaka syrup. Remove the leaves and pour the mix into a container  freeze.

So what is gula melaka?It is sugar from the coconut tree and similar to the Thai palm sugar but a lot stronger and sweeter because most Thai palm sugar has a higher content of coconut milk. 



I left my ice cream in the freezer overnight as it took a while to freeze in my overloaded freezer. I took it out again in the morning to stir and refreeze. It tastes great but just not as smooth as I'd like it to be but turns out great for first time of making ice cream.


Pin It

3 comments:

Eric @ Happy Valley Chow said...

This looks incredible, I was just thinking about making the ice cream the other day using the dry ice method. Definitely will have to try this recipe! I'm following your blog now, looking forward to sharing with you!

Unknown said...

This looks so yummy!! I can't wait to try making ice cream, YUM!

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

Thanks for dropping Eric and really glad that you like my blog enough to follow my insane rambling :) Looking forward to sharing recipes and cooking adventures. Let me know how your ice cream turn out.

Jenn: Try it out and let me know how you go, always cool to share recipes and see how it went.I never knew that making your own ice cream is so simple. This is going to be bad for me.I'd probably start making all sorts of weird flavours ;P